Saturday, February 17, 2007

President Ford's final P.S. departure - photos

On December 30th, 2006 I took photos of Air Force One as it departed the Palm Springs International Airport with the remains of the late President. As a musician I preformed for him several times and felt honored to do so.

The photo above shows Air Force One taxing into position. The below photo shows the moment of take-off. Mt. San Jacinto can be seen in the background.


A day or so after the last time he and Betty danced to my music, I tried to pass a motorcade on a local highway because I was going to be late to a gig. As I pulled parallel to a stretch limo, a motorcycle officer pulled in front of me and held up his hand gesturing that I should not pass. At that moment the limo driver honked and got the officer's attention and indicated it was okay for me to proceed. As I glanced in the back seat, I saw President Ford smiling at me as he too was waving me to pass him. From my perspective it appeared that the President had recognized me and had given me a special "pass." Although I never saw him again, from that time on I felt as if he somehow were my friend. Incidentally, I did make it to my gig barely on time. The President's kindness had made a difference that evening.

No comments: