Thursday, March 22, 2007

Barney Bigard Tribute video


Please click here to see a 6 minute video clip of my "Vintage Jammers" performing Mood Indigo as a tribute to my late friend, Barney Bigard. The 101st anniversary of his birth occurred a week before this session was taped.

My friend Bill Harre from Gaylord, Michigan is featured on piano along with myself on clarinet. Some comments on Mr. Bigard conclude this video that was taped on March 14, 2007. The clip opens with a photo of Barney and Dottie Bigard that I believe I took at a jazz picnic in Glendale, CA circa 1966 and closes with a photo taken by the late Dr. Ed Lawless of Barney and myself around that same time in Winnetka, Ca. (see above)

Once again I wish to express my profound appreciation to the musicians who keep showing up at my Mizell Senior Center jam sessions every week. As has become the norm, the room was packed beyond seating capacity with "snow birds" from all over the world who are inclined to visit Palm Springs this time of the year and our "regulars" who continue to be with us throughout the summer months when "hot" jazz is our only option.

Finally a special thanks to Dr. Petermann who bravely operated a video camera for the first time in his life as he captured the footage shown in the clip. We'd prefer to describe his efforts as being "artistic" rather than admit that we didn't show him how to focus or use the zoom features on the camera. In any case, I'm delighted that these special moments were captured and that we can share them with you.

No comments: