Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Herb Jeffries sings great at LA Jazz Festival




Just got back from Sweet 'n Hot jazz festival in Los Angeles where I performed very little but had the pleasure of announcing for about the 20th year in a row. Was reunited with many friends including Herb Jeffries. When Herb was around age 70, we discussed the possiblity of my becoming his musical director. I decided against it thinking it would have been a very short engagement. Now I realize that there are lots of folks who started careers in many fields on that very day that are at this time retired on a full pension. Oh, well, maybe I can still become Herb's music director. If I started today. Herb would only be about 120 years old, give or take a year at the time I could claim my 25 year retirement pension from this gig.

As you likely know, Herb had a major hit recording of Flamingo with Duke Ellington, that was recorded within days of my birth in 1939. You can see a video of it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlmMzUMCIIg
After watching the above link that features a bit of Johnny Hodges along with Herb, I've just found a site claiming Herb to be the worlds oldest rapper. Dig him at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8wJdy2ivMg to see this amazing man at work in a very recent performance. To be honest with you, I still prefer his performance of Flamingo, a song I witnessed him do brilliantly just a day or two ago. Remarkable!

No comments: