Saturday, December 5, 2009

Yesterday, I posted a brand new music video for you to enjoy. It's located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7HREzjxORg
I recommend it to those who are concerned about what's happening behind closed doors in Washington D.C. And if you wish, you can sing along by following the bouncing ball. My technology was quite crude as I photographed video off of my monitor and used my camera's mic to pick up the sound from my speakers. As a pro audio guy, I don't recommend this technology to anyone. I had a cold as I recorded this so my voice actually sounds better than usual. Hmmmm.
****************************************
A few days ago I received the following email that included an ancient photo attachment of myself performing with Mr. Sinatra. Below is a reproduction of that email:

----- Original Message -----
From: Frank Miller Johnson
To: Dick Broadie

Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:48 PM
Subject: Anyone here you recognize?
Hi Dick. Just found your blog and still recognized you from a picture I've had for a long time. Thought you'd enjoy having this. I believe it was taken at Frank's golf tournament at the Canyon Hotel on Murray Canyon Drive around 1975. I understand that the building is no longer standing. Great memories from great days. Drop me an email and let you know what you think. I wish my scanner were of more recent vintage but this is about the best I can do.
I moved back to Chicago area about 15 years ago and really do miss Palm Springs as the days grow colder. Of course I miss you and your great jazz at the Biltmore and the Trinidad. Is Joe Massters still alive?. I'd love to get in touch with him. I look forward to hearing from you. Hope you enjoy the attached picture as much as I used to enjoy your fantastic jazz playing.
F M J

****************************
I decided to do some research to update my knowledge on Joe and was amazed to find the following:
****************************
In the early 50's, Joe Massters was house pianist at George Wein's Storeyville in Boston. He worked with Dizzy Gillespie's Big Band, Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet with Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, and alongside artists such as Miles Davis and Bill Evans. He was accompanist-conductor for Johnny Mathis and Anita O'Day, including recording for Norman Granz' Verve label, performing at the first Newport Jazz Festival. His composition "The Jazz Mass" was recorded and released by Columbia Records during the early 60's, and has been performed internationally. He also appeared on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" . Moving to Palm Springs for the next 30 years, Joe became the premier singer/lounge performer of the desert jazz scene. Frank Sinatra called him "one of the best saloon singers in the business."
Chris Clark learned bass at jam sessions in south central LA with the likes of Dexter Gordon, Wardell Gray, Bobby Hutcherson and Gerald Wiggins. He joined Les Brown's Band of Renoun at the age of 20, appearing in Jerry Lewis' "The Nutty Professor" and touring with Bob Hope's USO Christmas shows. He went on to work with Vic Damone, Della Reese, Chris Connor, Red Norvo, and the CBS staff band. Settling on Orcas Island in Washington State, he continues to perform with big bands and swingers.
****************************
I guess I spent too much time being in awe of Mr. Sinatra when equal awe should have been accorded to Mr. Massters. Click here to go to Joe's Website and check out his latest CD. From the audio samples on this site, Joe sounds as if he's playing as well as ever. And that is very very well indeed!

No comments: